Saturday, November 6, 2010

Appeal to Pity

In the current chapter, we read about many different types of appeal to emotion, and one of them is appeal to pity. Appeal to pity happens when someone tries to create supportive evidence by creating pity in an argument. This type of appeal to emotion is common. We can find these appeal to pity situations in charities, organizations that help others, and even desperate people in real life.  Parents also experience this type of appeal to pity a lot when their kids try to convince and soften them. Appeal to pity work effectively on people, except for the careless and heartless ones. However, it is a fallacy, you should keep that in mind because it is really easy for us to create this type of fallacy. Besides, pity cannot be counted as evidence, so we should avoid these appeal to emotion types fallacy.

Example of appeal to pity: 
Me: Mom, can I stay home today?
My mom: Why? You will be missing out lectures
Me: I have been working and staying up late every day since last week. I need some rest, or my sickness will get worse
My mom: poor you, stay home for today then. I will cook you something good.

So,I successfully convince my mom to let me stay home because I recall her pity out. We do not know it, but we use this out of instinct.

No comments:

Post a Comment