Thursday, October 21, 2010

Things I Learn from Chapter 8

In chapter eight, there is a part called "Vague generalities”, and this section talk about how to use the words to specify number precisely. I think this is something we need to learn because we usually make the mistake between part and whole. When we use “all” it means absolute, and we talk about the wholeness. However, “almost” is the majority plus some exclusion. The two words sound like they have no difference, yet they are completely different. When we know how to differentiate the whole and part’s words, then our information would be more precise and reliable. Depending on our words’ usage people can tell whether our arguments are valid or not, so it is very important to learn how to use these correctly. 

For example:  

My friend was depressed before, and she busted out “All people out there are liars. I don’t trust anyone anymore.”

-Notice how she said “all” and her argument become invalid.  She could have said, “Many people out there are liars. I don’t trust anyone anymore.” If she used “many” instead of “all”, then her argument would have been valid and acceptable. It sounds right and believable compared to her original sentence.

Another thing I learn in this chapter is argument backwards with all is usually weak. The form of this argument is:

All S are P
A is P
So a is S

For Example: 

All students study hard
Macy studies hard
So Macy is a student

The argument is valid, yet it is a weak because the possibility for Macy not to be a student is available. Macy could be someone who likes to learn more. In conclusion, I would avoid using this type of argument when I write my paper or give a speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment